The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What is the world coming to

OK, not the world, but MEN.

I'd like you all to do me a favor. Think back or pay attention now.
When I'm out in public, I usually have a stroller and then Logan is next to me or holding my hand.
Do you know what I have had happen to me COUNTLESS times this summer?
I'm walking RIGHT BEHIND someone (always a man when this happens, as I'd like to think that women watch out for each other? maybe?) and they walk in the door and let it start closing right behind them.
They don't even ATTEMPT to hold the door.
They see me coming RIGHT BEHIND THEM and they just let the door close. They can't hold it for 1 second so I can get there and start pushing the stroller through?
They don't see a mom and her 2 kids and think, hm, I should hold the door.
Nope?
And of course, our mall doesn't have automatic doors (at least the door I go in) so you all who have a stroller know what a pain in the ass it is to maneuver through along with another child. Usually it's LOGAN holding the door while I go through.
And I"m not talking only 18 yr olds. Which has been the case as well, but were talking all the way up to 80.
I'm totally baffled by this.
Where did good manners go?
-------
Yesterday Logan pinched his 2 fingers in the door. After he calmed down and could talk better I asked which fingers were pinched.
In his sweetest little Logan voice he said,
"It's my Ringo and Baby fingers"
That's socked away in that always remember place of my brain.

8 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Ringo finger LOL

Now that you mention it, I guess it is almost always women who stop to hold doors...hmmmm

10:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always hold the door. Especially for ladies, people with strolers or kids, and the elderly. That is just how I was raised.

The sad part is that I have actually received dirty looks and snide comments from the woman I was holding it for.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger andria said...

I have the same problem. I actually had a heavily cologned dude get mad at ME because after I bungled through with big stroller and kid (poor four year old had to hold the heavy door) I let him close the door. He actually told me I was rude and teaching my kid bad manners. I told him he was teaching him bad manners because the great big cool man couldn't reach over and help the little boy hold the door. Totally understand, what is happening to people?

4:26 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

People can be such assholes sometimes!
I feel guilty admitting this, but I have rarely had this problem. Even today when I had my 8 year old niece with me, most people held the door open. I even had people move their single strollers, I have a double, out of the way while in stores, so I could get through. My friend from the northern Chicago area says that she never gets the door held for her. I don't understand that!(BTW, most of the teenage boys I've encountered have held the door too. I am making sure my boys hold doors when they are older too).

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

This has happened to me a few times, as well. I usually expect Gus to hold the door, though, and he gets royally ticked off if someone tries to be nice and helps him.

7:49 AM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

oh my the Ringo Finger is priceless!

11:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure :/ My boys ages 6 and 4 hold the door open for everyone that is behind us, stroller or not. And it really pisses me off when those people can't mutter a simple thank you, grrrr.

I hope his fingers are feeling better.

4:54 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

What you talkin' about you fine piece of ass?

(I crack my shit right up...)

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home