The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Project outside living

I love the idea of using the grill most nights and eating outside.
Kids get done eating and run off to play in the sandbox while the adults kick back and enjoy the relaxing evening.

I've always looked forward to the time when I could start doing that almost stress free.
I think that will be next year. (the stress free part)
This year, we still have to stand behind Miles while he climbs up the ladder to the slide.
He still needs help in his swing.
BUT, he's a master at digging for dinosaur bones in the sandbox.

This year however, I'm going to start.

I've been thinking about what we can grill besides your basic chicken/burgers/hot dogs/brats/kabobs on the grill.
Pizza came to mind, and that's easy enough. Then there are panini's.

I'd love some suggestions on to what we can make that will be easy on the grill.
Dave thinks he's a grill master, so I'll let him be in charge of the cooking.

We don't eat red meat like steaks or roasts. Well, Dave would love it, but he's the only one.
Does anyone have any ideas of some good grill food?
Or a website made strictly for grilling?
Or Merritt? (My cooking idol)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grill marinated veggies like red peppers, squash and zucchini (you need to put something like a cooling rack on the grill to support them.)

I love to grill fish: Parmesan coated lemon catfish is excellent. Salmon with garlic lemon butter is probably my favorite. Tilapia works, too.

There are lots of variations on the old chicken theme that are fun.

Try putting some hickory or apple wood chips in a pan on the lower rack to give a really good smoke flavor.

If you look at my blog and click Odd Mixings in categories there are a bunch of recipes - many for the grill.

12:39 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

oooh!
Thanks Oddmix! :)

1:42 PM

 
Blogger DDanielle said...

I love fish on the grill there are so many different types and ways to make it.
Also potatoes are good, sweet, baking, I love reds. With red potatoes I slice them up, add some crushed garlic and little bit of butter and olive oil all in a foil packet, you can even add some parmasean. Grill that while you cook other things.
You could also roast some garlic and spread it on bread for a side.
We have done pretty much everything on the grill in the summer, its just easier. I am still trying to figure out a way to do tuna casserole or pasta since I don't have a side burner.

8:24 AM

 
Blogger Sue said...

Veggies are good (like Oddmix suggests) - we usually do eggplant, squash, the big portabello mushrooms, asparagus....marinated chicken breasts....grill shrimp (on a skewer) to put on a big salad...

12:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you get halloumi cheese in the US?

Corn cobs, meals in a bag (fish and veg etc in a foil packet)

1:03 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

dg,

It is so funny you ask that. I have had halloumi cheese before!
On our honeymoon, we went to Austria and the Czech Repbulic. One evening we went to a fancy resturant and there was not a thing on the menu a vegetarian could eat except for halloumi cheese.
I was so nervous about ordering it, but let me tell you it was AMAZING!

We have a few cheese chalets here, and I will keep my out for it!
Thanks for bringing back a great memory! ;)

9:18 PM

 
Blogger Me said...

Dude, you just put my name in there so I would comment... right!? LOL.


Favorites on the grill here are;

Shrimp Ka-bobs
Salmon
Rib-Eye steaks
Whole Chicken
Santa Fe marinated chicken
Catfish

Right now the shrimp is high on my list. We've had it about 4 times in the last 8 weeks and I'm craving it again. I don't know if I put the marinade on my recipe site or not... I may have to check and add it if I haven't!

7:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home