The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Ten things not to say to a 39 week pregnant woman during the holidays...

1. (By Father in law)..."well, if you don't have the baby soon, you won't be able to fit through the door any more" (as I was feeling particularly good about myself and my appearance, for the moment anyway!)

2. "Hey! Why didn't you apply to be Santa this year? You could have made a little extra money for the holidays!"

3. "How are you today J?" tired, but good!, "awww! (in a whiny screechy making fun of you voice) "the pregnant woman is tired...awww! She has no idea what it will be like with TWO children" as the laughter begins.

4. As I'm reaching for a 2nd BITE size cookie bar treat dessert thingy, "better be careful! Those pounds add up at the end!"

5. As I'm the only one in the kitchen cleaning up after Christmas dinner and I mumble about how swollen my legs and feet are becoming from WORKING in the kitchen all evening while the rest of the people sit with full bellies, I hear, "well! Thats good! It means you're DOING something, right? Gravity helps bring down the baby! Just work and rock, rock and work and bring that baby down" (don't get me started on what I said in my HEAD as I listened to that assvice)

6. "Well, its pretty disappointing that you couldn't have had that baby while we were here for the weekend. Our luck is you'll go into labor on our drive home, so we'll MISS it all."

7. "Oooh! Did I tell you, my friends daughter had her baby! She BEAT you! She wasn't due for another 3 weeks! Her family is so excited they could celebrate a new baby at Christmas....but....oh well!" (yes, that oh well was in there!)

8. (as I'm putting on my shoes) "I've never actually watched a pregnant woman try to get her shoes on! Its pretty funny!"

9. "WOW! Look at your fingers! Honey! Come here and look at how swollen her fingers are! Mom! Come here! Look! Did YOUR fingers get this swollen when YOU were pregnant? Will they STAY that way?

10. And the WORST thing to say to a 39 week pregnant woman is, "You are carrying this totally different than L! He was all belly! Not this time!" (which, BTW is completely a lie!)

Tis the season, huh?
(I actually had a lovely holiday weekend, as I hope you did as well! I have so much to be thankful for this year and really reveled in L and D this year as it will be our last 3 member Christmas. L was shocked and amazed at his gift from Santa this year. He got a new train set and table. It is the greatest thing seeing such joy come out of his eyes! I feel GREAT today and actually, as 'scrooge'ish as this sounds took down everything 'holiday' in my house today. Including the tree! I just had to get my house back to normal so that I wouldn't have to come home from the hospital and do it! I did SO much and I'm SO happy with it! I'm over 39 weeks now (turned on Saturday) and that officially means that there WILL be a baby in most likely less than 2 weeks. My doctor said that he won't let me go over 41 weeks! That only what? 12 days away. (omg! 12 days sounds WAY less than 2 weeks!)
D's off for the week, and he's getting a lot accomplished in the 3rd level we're finishing! It will ALMOST be done by baby time! He laid the tile in the bathroom, around the fireplace and by the walkout. Tomorrow will grout it, hang the doors and start the trim. The carpet should be coming in a week or so! Then all that is left is a toilet and a sink! Life is good!
Life is really really good...

Just a side note, I wanted to let you know that one of the things I am so thankful for as I think this holiday season about life, is you all. My readers, my posters, my well wishers, and those of you who are truly excited about this baby and when he will come into this world. I know I've told you before how I was a little bummed about not getting a shower (not a gift shower, a baby celebration shower) and haven't received even something as simple as a card as a celebration to this pregnancy that I can put in a box for him, I must say that you all changed that!
Reading your replies and your joy makes me so happy! So, my friends, thank you for being happy for me, for this baby. Those of you who knew me while facing my loss/infertility know how hard it was to get here, emotionally and physically. I appreciate you all very much!
I hope you all enjoyed your holiday, and if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you enjoyed your day off!


6 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

I was so glad to see your post! Glad to know you were able to enjoy Christmas without being laid up in the hospital and I can't believe they didn't help you in the kitchen! We haven't had any of our Christmas celebration yet. That will be Thursday, so we'll see what they do around here. I'm impressed that you can get your shoes on! I can't! I have to have help. I am *so* looking forward to being able to put on my own socks. These people are the worst sock-putter-oners in the world!
Thought of you the other day. I'm addicted to Wife Swap now and there was another five hour a day house cleaner (and a woman who could use five hours a day on her house). Frankly, my house could use five hours a day right now...
Hoping all is well and that its any time soon now that Christmas is behind you! Sending much love and holiday cheer.

11:13 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am so sorry that people were so rude and inconsiderate to you over Christmas. Ugh .. why can't stupid ppl learn to not say anything at all if they can't say something nice? And them making you do all the clean up .. well that's just wrong. One thing about being on bedrest is people don't expect me to do stuff like that. I'm not allowed to do anything .. so they don't expect much and they have been great about taking care of me. As for being excited about this baby. I am terribly excited for you and your new little boy to be. I can't wait till he gets here so I can hear all about him and see some pics!!!

9:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen - Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blog! I'm so excited for you and your new bundle of joy that will be here soon. :) I didn't get to know you that well on TTCAL but I know of your journey.

I'm sorry about all the rude comments people made to you and you had no help.
Good luck with your delivery and can't wait to see pics of your new baby.
--Camille

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited, this baby is almost here! Your blog is the first thing I check when I log on these days. I'm glad you had a good Christmas, with the exception of the dumb comments. Some people just don't think before the stupidity spews from their mouth. You did good though. I didn't do so good, I told off my MIL for one of her dumb comments when I was pregnant with Aislinn. I said I was ready for the baby to come, I was tired of being pregnant, and wanted her born, and safe. MIL gave me the snotty "are you SURE you're ready" comment. I told her that after three years of trying for this baby I was more than ready for the crying, feedings, diaper changes and sleepless nights that she was rolling her eyes about. That shut her up.

So how are those contractions? They still coming? Boy, do I remember how frustrating that was. I had contractions for weeks, good ones too, but labor never got beyond that. But a little cervadil did the trick!

You're in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie! I hope this little boy comes soon! I'm so excited! And if I'm this excited, I can only imagine how thrilled you are. He'll be here in a matter of days!

-Arwa

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Jennifer, it is so good to hear from you!!! I've been thinking of you non-stop since your last post.

It's really amazing what people will say, isn't it?? I think that we should compile a list, and publish it. A sort of a How-To guide.

Keep us posted,K? Thinking of you while I'm away...

((((Hugs))))

11:24 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I was also glad to see your post. I kept checking it waiting for your next post. I am glad that you made it though Christmas, but I am sorry that you had to deal with insensitive people. I had quite a few of them throughout my pregnancy also. They seem to be everywhere -- you can't get rid of them. Good thing that this will all be over with very, very soon!!

3:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home