The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Crap! I think he's right

Go back in time when we were a family of three.
Logan and I had endless hours together alone, just the two of us.
We didn't breath without each other.
We grew together, learning along the way.
He learned how to be a unique individual, I learned how to be a good mother.
I set boundaries, he rarely tried to cross them.
He really was one of those children that people would look at and tell me they wished their child would listen like him.

Picture a group of children all playing together when the moms said it was time to go home. 99% of the children would run the other way. Logan would think about it, but then come to me, as I asked.
Sure, we had our occasional meltdown, but it always resolved quickly without harm.

Since I've been lucky enough to have the good listener, I've relied on it.
He still, at age 4 1/2 holds my hand always in the parking lot. He is expected to stay right with the cart when we are shopping. He knows NEVER to run off. He puts his hat and coat on even if he thinks it's too warm for a hat.

Today, Dave was getting ready to take him to soccer practice. Logan got dressed in his shorts and tshirt. Last week when I took him, I just put on sweats over the shorts. Today, seeing I'm still on 'no driving' pills, Dave was getting him out the door.
Dave didn't put on pants over the shorts, and Logan thought it was cool.
They got their coats on and headed for the door.
"Don't you think he needs his hat??" I ask as they are walking out.

Dave turns around and gives me this fatherly look and says to me, "Jen, I think you need to stop babying him and let him grow up a bit."

BABYing?
I need to stop what?

As I thought about it, I really think he's right. Crap! I HATE when he's right!

I see other kids and they know not to run off in the parking lot, they know what's right and wrong. Their parents don't make them hold their hands or help 'push the cart' as I tell him to help me do.
They seem to have this easy job of knowing when to let their kids take charge and make choices, right or wrong.

I guess I expected Logan to be little for a lot longer than he was!

Now with summer approaching and having a second little boy who seems that he is not going to be the hand holding type I'm a bit unsure of this whole mothering thing at this new stage.
I mean, not to sound all high and mighty, but I really think I did well with getting Logan to 4 1/2. I mean, he has manners, he has feelings, he (most of the time) listens very well. But it's expected of him.
What happens when I let him make the decisions for himself, obviously with added guidance, but still.

And what happens when that little hand doesn't reach out for mine anymore.
I really think it's a line that once it's crossed, it doesn't turn back.
And his hand really does fit quite perfectly in mine.

I'm not ready to let him go as my little boy and watch him turn into my big boy just yet. Yet, I think HE'S ready. I think he's been ready.

9 Comments:

Blogger Misti said...

i have two Logans and i am just barely letting them go at ages 6 and 9. you can hang on a couple more yrs. i grant you permission,lmbo.
seriously, you did a great job with him and you wil learn and grow with the second. you'll do a great job. you'l just do it differently.

10:12 AM

 
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Pan is 5 - today I let him cross our street all by himself (of course I was watching from the front window) and he played with the neighbor kids in their yard...not ours...and I thought I was going to die...

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

This made me cry.

I know there's going to be a day when I'm dealing with the same thing and it might break my heart.

I wish you strength as he goes from your "baby" to a big boy.

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Its the same hear only i'm the one telling dh to stop babying.

6:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And what happens when that little hand doesn't reach out for mine anymore."

Damn girl, did that ever bring on the tears. Seriously, holding back the sobs here...our babies grow up far too quickly. I like Mrs. Fun's advice. ;)

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh honey.

Letting go has to be the hardest part, but watching them succeed on their own is the most rewarding.

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Odd Mix said...

And even when they become big kids, there are still plenty of times when the will still be little kids, too.

But I am definitely feeling the pain with my big/little ones, too.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

It is hard to know when is the right time to let them do things on their own. Sad on one end but exciting that they are becoming so independent too!

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Lauri said...

Take it for as long as you can get it!

8:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home