The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

quiet whisper

I've always been meaning to ask other moms this question, and finally remembered.
While at my post 'laying on the bed dying' checkup today, the receptionist was going over my address/phone etc...
She got to the employment section and said
"I see you're unemployed at the moment."



She then did not wait for a response and went right on to my husbands place of employment.

It is something I've noticed quite regularly with receptionists at office visits. A 'hush hush' this person doesn't have a job tone WHEN my children are not with me.
OK, so maybe I look young. I do, I know I do, but obviously old enough to have children.

And we all have heard the great debate on ABC lately, Mommy Wars.
I will, for the record state that I really don't care what you choose to do when your children are born. If working is right for you, great job at making the right choice. If staying home is the right answer, well again, congrats for making the right decision. My next door neighbor works full time and has 2 kids. Do I think anything different about her than I do my other neighbor who stays home full time with her 2 kids? Not really. It doesn't involve me one way or another. JUST like any other working or non working mom in America. Who Cares! Period. Make the choice that's right for your family.

OK, done.

You have to assume though, that when people come into the clinic and have unemployed that there is just a small chance that that person is a stay at home mom, wouldn't you?

Usually when i have to fill out forms and it asks for my occupation, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put 'stay at home mom' or something like that. I don't want to write unemployed, because while I don't get a paycheck, I have a job. Dumb, I know, but validation.

So today, when she said it in a hush hush tone (with not a single soul around to hear her quiet tone btw) I wanted to say, 'yes, I stay home with my kids', but I just agreed, because she was right. Technically I am unemployed.

Then it got me thinking, why do I feel the need for validation? And especially from someone behind a desk that I'll never see again who won't remember me from the next person in line?

So I'm wondering, if you are/were a stay at home parent, do/did you feel the need for validation?
Honestly, I think it's in my own head. I see other successful working women who are always dressed to the T, and for some reason I tell myself they are smarter/more successful than I. BUT, I'm the one who chose this spot myself. This was the job I chose, even without pay. I am successful in my decision. I'm doing what I personally think is the best job (FOR ME, maybe not you) and I'm really proud to be here.

So sad really, mommy wars.
I mean, shouldn't we all be on the same side? And when it comes down to it, it isn't about the number of hours you are able to spend with your child a day, it's about what kind of person you will be giving the world some day.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, don't need validation. I'm actually so comfortable and feel so right about what I'm doing, that I actually assume that others are just jealous. I know that's not always correct, but it's the first thought I have when someone says something a little off. Why, oh why, would I want to have to run around and get my children dressed for day care at 5 AM? There isn't one single reason out there good enough.
I'm with you though, on the "I don't really care what you do" front. They aren't my children. Do what you think is best with yours.

10:37 AM

 
Blogger Amie said...

I would say I don't, but nearly all our friends and family are extremely supportive of my choice to stay home. I can actually say that I have never had any negative comments about it.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Misti said...

I get validation everyday when I am here for my kids when they walk through that door. I really am not one to care what others think, never have been. I don't plan to go back to work untill T has graduated highschool(god willing).

11:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I used to feel that way but I have sooo many children now (4 and one on the way) that NO ONE seems to think I *could* work and so I feel offended in the opposite way. When they make comments like "Oh I guess you HAVE to stay home, huh?" I feel like saying NO I'm super-mom and I could juggle 4+ kiddies AND work if I wanted to. I wish people could still see that I stay home because I want to be with my children and involved in their lives and NOT because I *have* to.

12:26 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Just imagine the look they give me when they find out my HUSBAND stays home =)


I *so* agree with this post.

2:53 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

If I have the option of staying home with kids, dammit I'll do it. And I'll be proud to say it. So, you go girl!

2:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you should have stabbed her with the pen.

Seriously...biotch.

(everyone else's comments are all mature and I'm like a ten year-old...sigh...)

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

when I was younger I felt that I needed to prove that I was "busy" to my husband - justify the financial sacrifices - I have done the "at home" and "the take to work with you" and the "work full time" and now that my kids are older (pre-teen)I don't feel like I need ANY validation other than my kids being "OK"

there is SO much going on with the kids in school - academically and peers etc that I could not imagine NOT being home if there was any way to make it work for one parent or the other (we did the dad at home too)

everyone has to do what works for them, but I am more vocal now about supporting people who are considering being at home, especially with middle school age and older kids -

I want to be the one answering my kids questions: "what is a USED condom, they found one in the locker room" OR "what is a pimp" (insert various sland words) it takes a lot of time to listen OR "I feel like crying today and I don't know why"

10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Summer 2005 issue of "The Compleat Mother" contained a piece entitled "Just a Mom." The stay-at-home mama in the story tells the county clerk that she is "self-employed as a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations, and Executive Assistant to the CEO of the company." I just love it! Your post reminded me of this great response to the job question.

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home