The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

a bit embarrassing, but I'll admit it anyway

Once upon a time, a long long time ago I had a baby who loved to sit in his bouncy seat. He'd sit there, happily hitting little toys while I'd do things around the house. As long as he was near me, he'd be happy and I'd be happy.
One memory I have is totally cleaning out the hall closet and putting it all back together, in order.
I had time to cook, clean and organize as well as play with a happy baby.
Then baby number 2 came along and the bouncy seat was about as useless as I would later find out the exersaucer would be.
I learned that while baby A loved a little bit of independence, baby B loved the smell of his mommy.

Since I succumbed to his wishes, the housework slowly got forgotten.
Sure, I'd go on little tangents here and there when Dave was home and would clean freakishly for a good hour or two and get it back into 'ok, 2 kids live here' status.

One thing that I really REALLY let fall behind is the laundry. See, we live in a tri-level house. What that means is that our bedrooms/bathrooms are on the top floor, then a half stairs brings you to our livingroom/kitchen (the main walkout level) then a half stair brings you to the 2nd livingroom/office (bedroom) and bathroom and the 3rd and final half stair brings you down to our basement/playroom/laundry room.
That's 3 flights of stairs (OK, only HALF stairs, but still) that I have to carry laundry down to. And of course, I can't carry laundry down while baby B is awake because he will scream and cry because I left him.
Best to wait until the weekends and do it all then.

That worked fine until the weekends got so full that I never had the time to do all of the laundry during the weekend. I'd forget something was in the wash and then I'd have to start all over again.
I was in a bad vicious laundry cycle.
And we all hate laundry, so to be in a bad laundry cycle is just no good at all my friends!!
Then, the really bad part was, I'd do 5 or 6 loads, fold it all and put it back in the baskets. Kether, I know we have this in common. No one was looking in their DRAWERS for their clothes. They were asking, "Which basket has the socks in it?"
THAT is not how I want my boys to do their laundry when they get older, and that is not how I want my house to run.

Something clicked in my brain this week because I've finally decided that I don't want to go back to the 'OK, this house has 2 kids' sort of house.
I got all the laundry done this weekend, and I mean all! Comforters and all. And even more of a shocker was that instead of waiting until all the baskets were full of clean folded clothes, I put them away right after each load was done. (just like I'm sure you all do, right!) It takes much less time putting away a load vs. 6 loads! (sarcastically speaking)
Since then, I've done 1 or 2 small loads a day, and immediately put them away, and our bedroom is so SO clean. No more living out of baskets!
Logan went to get his socks today and couldn't find them. You should have seen the amazement on his face when I told them they were in his drawer! :)

Hey, I never said I was a super mom. I'm trying though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

Ugh, we HATE laundry. If I had it in my own house -or if I even had my own house-I'd be in heaven! But no, we have to drag huge laundry bags down 3 FULL flights of stairs, then jam it all in our rolling cart and walk three blocks to do it. THEN we have to stay there and watch it and fight for a machine to dry it. It's all so damn stressful. Girl, you are LUCKY!

10:55 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

WTG!! I hate laundry too :)

8:26 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

sounds like your house is a quadlevel. What you need is a laundry shoot. :D When we lived in a tiny one story ranch, where our laundry room was right next to our bedrooms, I still couln't keep on top of it! LOL

6:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home