The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, October 23, 2006

confidence

Do you have it in your walk or not?

This weekend my husband played in a Racquetball tournament. (Didn't go well. Turned into the day he broke his goggles with his racket. Don't ya just love men and sports?)

I only was able to attend one match, but while I was waiting, I saw all sorts of women. Some thin, some not so thin, some tall, some short.
All the same, all different.

What I noticed was the confidence that some women had in their step.
There were those who didn't have the confidence, and you could tell as they tried hard to stay out of anyones way. They apologized for stepping in the same spot as someone else. They avoided eye contact. They looked uncomfortable standing in one spot, alone, as if they were being watched. They fidgeted with their hair a lot.

Then, there were others who were perfectly happy to be alone walking around, scoping out the scene. They were dressed nicely, they had nice shoes, (oh the things I notice) and they really seemed put together. Inside and out really.
They didn't stick out. They blended in with the crowd and didn't really care to notice if anyone was watching.

Now, of course I'm just a spectator in this and am only making opinions on how I thought the women felt. More like what I felt when I watched them.

This brought me to really think about how I feel.
Am I eluding confidence in my step?
Absolutely not.
I am one of those who feel uncomfortable walking through a crowd.
I fix my hair. I find a nice empty part of the wall and stay out of the way.
Now, I am much better than I once was, yet I still need to work on it.
I am very able to walk into a group of women and start a conversation. 10 years ago, I would never have been able to do that.

What makes a woman feel confident in herself?
And it's not about being thin or tall, because many of these women weren't the thin tall people you might be picturing. Yet, they had the confidence that I would like more of.

Is it the clothes, the shoes?
Doubt it, however, I would really feel more confident if I could get a much needed updated wardrobe. Wait, do I mean confidence or simply happier?

Is it money?
Tough call? We are (heck, OK, Dave is) making more money today than we ever have, so I don't think that is it. Plus, I know many a confident person who doesn't make a boatload of money.

It's obviously something that is on the inside.
Do you have it on your inside?

I'm working on it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

If I'm alone, I always feel nervous and have very little confidence. If I'm with another woman, then I'm fine. It's very strange. I definitely need to feel more secure when I'm out and about alone.

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting post.

I tend to mess with my hair or look away if I make eye contact with stranger when walking (say in the mall or whathaveyou)...

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Jennie said...

What an interesting topic! I love people watching!

It's especially fun when I'm traveling and people are at dinner, often times alone.

There are some situations when I feel confident and other times that I don't. Personally, I don't think my weight has anything to do with it, but the way I feel in my clothes, shoes and hair can make a huge difference. It isn't necessarily a "new" outfit but rather the way that you feel when you put them on!

2:37 PM

 
Blogger Minivan Momma said...

Let's put it this way... I recently filled out a personality questionnaire and one of the questions was, "If you were somebody else, would you be friends with you?" I answered, "Probably not."

I just don't have it and probably never will. Sad, huh?

4:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home